[3611]-101
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-101 : FOUNDATION OF LIBRARY AND
INFORMATION SCIENCE
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What are various schemes of UNESCO for Development of
Libraries ?
(b) Write functions of RRRLF.
(c) Enumerate Five Laws of Library Science.
(d) Library is an agency of Mass Communication. Explain.
(e) Explain relationship between Library and Society.
(f) What is the importance of Public Relation in a Library ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Discuss role of Libraries in development of Reading Habits.
(b) What extension activities are provided by the Libraries ?
(c) “Libraries are Cultural Organisations.” Discuss.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Trace out the history of Library Movement in India.
(b) Describe role of Libraries in Cultural Development.
(c) Explain Second Law of Library Science.
[3611]-102
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-102 : LIBRARY ORGANISATION
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) List Columns of an Accession Register.
(b) What are the functions of a Good Circulation System ?
(c) Book Selection through Approval System
(d) State methods of Acquisition of Books.
(e) What is Kardex System ?
(f) What are various methods for Circulation of Periodicals ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain advantages and disadvantages of acquiring Periodicals
directly from Publishers.
(b) Describe different labels pasted on newly acquired books and
give their importance.
(c) State and justify various columns you would suggest for a page
in an Accession Register.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain principles of book selection involved in the motto “The
right book, to the right reader, at the right time”.
(b) What is meant by Stock Verification ? State various methods
of Stock Verification and explain in detail ‘Shelf List’.
(c) Describe ‘Three Card System’ of recording periodicals in a
Library. Explain how it is superior to any other system of
recording periodicals.
[3611]-103
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-103 : REFERENCE SERVICES
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What is meant by Referral Service ?
(b) Why Reference Interview is essential in Reference Section of
a Library ?
(c) Explain ‘Fact-finding Type Questions’.
(d) Define the term ‘Literature Search’.
(e) Write definition of the term ‘Reference Service’.
(f) What are the qualities of a Reference Librarian ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Which Reference Services are provided in a University Library ?
Explain.
(b) Recommend Reference Sources to be purchased in a Public
Library. Explain your recommendation with proper justification.
(c) Explain Reference Interview Technique in Reference Section.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain, why Reference Service is essential in Libraries ?
(b) Describe Theories of Reference Service as described by James
I. Wyer and Samuel Rothstein.
(c) What are different types of Reference Questions ? Explain them
in detail with suitable examples.
[3611]-104
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-104 : INFORMATION SCIENCE
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) Define the term ‘Documentation’ as given by Dr. S. R.
Ranganathan.
(b) What is meant by Secondary Periodicals ?
(c) What are Reviews of Progress ?
(d) Write a short note on various approaches to Information.
(e) Write a note on Internet as a Source of Information.
(f) Explain features of Information
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Define ‘Documentation’ and explain in detail the need for
Documentation.
(b) Explain in detail the methods that can be used for assessing
information needs of users.
(c) What are the barriers that come in the way of free flow of
Information ?
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Bring out the difference between Documentation Work and
Documentation Service.
(b) Explain with diagram the Information Transfer Chain in modern
age.
(c) Describe with the help of a suitable diagram the process of
‘Reorganisation of Information’ and explain features of Primary
Documents.
[3611]-105
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-105 : KNOWLEDGE ORGANISATION - A (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What is meant by a Call Number ?
(b) Write definition of the term ‘Notation’.
(c) What is meant by a ‘Compound Subject’ ?
(d) Differentiate between Division and Classification.
(e) What is meant by a ‘Basic Subject’ ?
(f) Inductive and Deductive Process in Classification
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) What are special features of Book Classification ? Explain them
with examples.
(b) Write difference between Knowledge Classification and Book
Classification.
(c) Explain Tree of Porphyry in relation to the Process of
Classification.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) What are different modes of Formation of Subjects ? Explain
them with suitable examples.
(b) Explain structure of Main Classes in DDC.
(c) Define the term ‘Library Classification’. What are various
advantages of Classification in Libraries ?
[3611]-106
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-106 : DOCUMENT DESCRIPTION - A (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) OPAC
(b) Draw layout of main entry according to AACR 2 and write its
functions.
(c) Classified Catalogue
(d) Dictionary Catalogue
(e) Alphabetico-classed Catalogue
(f) Bibliography
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain differences between Classified Catalogue and Dictionary
Catalogue.
(b) What are the differences between Library Catalogue and a
Bibliography ?
(c) Explain functions and objectives of a Library Catalogue.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain role of a Cataloguer in Library System.
(b) What is the importance of Technical Reading of Books ?
(c) Compare between Book Form of Catalogue with Card Form of
Catalogue.
[3611]-107
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-107 : INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY : BASICS (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) Give features of Information Technology (I.T.).
(b) What is Operating System ?
(c) Write different types of Computer Systems.
(d) What is meant by System Software ?
(e) What is meant by Application Software ?
(f) What is an Intranet ?
Q.2) Answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain functions of different units of a Computer System.
(b) Define the terms Data and Information.
(c) What are the different Storage Devices ? Explain in detail.
Q.3) Answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain different sections in Libraries and Information Centres
where computer can be used.
(b) Trace out history of different generations of Development of
Computers.
(c) What is meant by I.T. ? Explain its impact on Library Services.
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-101 : FOUNDATION OF LIBRARY AND
INFORMATION SCIENCE
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What are various schemes of UNESCO for Development of
Libraries ?
(b) Write functions of RRRLF.
(c) Enumerate Five Laws of Library Science.
(d) Library is an agency of Mass Communication. Explain.
(e) Explain relationship between Library and Society.
(f) What is the importance of Public Relation in a Library ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Discuss role of Libraries in development of Reading Habits.
(b) What extension activities are provided by the Libraries ?
(c) “Libraries are Cultural Organisations.” Discuss.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Trace out the history of Library Movement in India.
(b) Describe role of Libraries in Cultural Development.
(c) Explain Second Law of Library Science.
[3611]-102
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-102 : LIBRARY ORGANISATION
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) List Columns of an Accession Register.
(b) What are the functions of a Good Circulation System ?
(c) Book Selection through Approval System
(d) State methods of Acquisition of Books.
(e) What is Kardex System ?
(f) What are various methods for Circulation of Periodicals ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain advantages and disadvantages of acquiring Periodicals
directly from Publishers.
(b) Describe different labels pasted on newly acquired books and
give their importance.
(c) State and justify various columns you would suggest for a page
in an Accession Register.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain principles of book selection involved in the motto “The
right book, to the right reader, at the right time”.
(b) What is meant by Stock Verification ? State various methods
of Stock Verification and explain in detail ‘Shelf List’.
(c) Describe ‘Three Card System’ of recording periodicals in a
Library. Explain how it is superior to any other system of
recording periodicals.
[3611]-103
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-103 : REFERENCE SERVICES
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What is meant by Referral Service ?
(b) Why Reference Interview is essential in Reference Section of
a Library ?
(c) Explain ‘Fact-finding Type Questions’.
(d) Define the term ‘Literature Search’.
(e) Write definition of the term ‘Reference Service’.
(f) What are the qualities of a Reference Librarian ?
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Which Reference Services are provided in a University Library ?
Explain.
(b) Recommend Reference Sources to be purchased in a Public
Library. Explain your recommendation with proper justification.
(c) Explain Reference Interview Technique in Reference Section.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain, why Reference Service is essential in Libraries ?
(b) Describe Theories of Reference Service as described by James
I. Wyer and Samuel Rothstein.
(c) What are different types of Reference Questions ? Explain them
in detail with suitable examples.
[3611]-104
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-104 : INFORMATION SCIENCE
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) Define the term ‘Documentation’ as given by Dr. S. R.
Ranganathan.
(b) What is meant by Secondary Periodicals ?
(c) What are Reviews of Progress ?
(d) Write a short note on various approaches to Information.
(e) Write a note on Internet as a Source of Information.
(f) Explain features of Information
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Define ‘Documentation’ and explain in detail the need for
Documentation.
(b) Explain in detail the methods that can be used for assessing
information needs of users.
(c) What are the barriers that come in the way of free flow of
Information ?
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Bring out the difference between Documentation Work and
Documentation Service.
(b) Explain with diagram the Information Transfer Chain in modern
age.
(c) Describe with the help of a suitable diagram the process of
‘Reorganisation of Information’ and explain features of Primary
Documents.
[3611]-105
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-105 : KNOWLEDGE ORGANISATION - A (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) What is meant by a Call Number ?
(b) Write definition of the term ‘Notation’.
(c) What is meant by a ‘Compound Subject’ ?
(d) Differentiate between Division and Classification.
(e) What is meant by a ‘Basic Subject’ ?
(f) Inductive and Deductive Process in Classification
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) What are special features of Book Classification ? Explain them
with examples.
(b) Write difference between Knowledge Classification and Book
Classification.
(c) Explain Tree of Porphyry in relation to the Process of
Classification.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) What are different modes of Formation of Subjects ? Explain
them with suitable examples.
(b) Explain structure of Main Classes in DDC.
(c) Define the term ‘Library Classification’. What are various
advantages of Classification in Libraries ?
[3611]-106
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-106 : DOCUMENT DESCRIPTION - A (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) OPAC
(b) Draw layout of main entry according to AACR 2 and write its
functions.
(c) Classified Catalogue
(d) Dictionary Catalogue
(e) Alphabetico-classed Catalogue
(f) Bibliography
Q.2) Write answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain differences between Classified Catalogue and Dictionary
Catalogue.
(b) What are the differences between Library Catalogue and a
Bibliography ?
(c) Explain functions and objectives of a Library Catalogue.
Q.3) Write answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain role of a Cataloguer in Library System.
(b) What is the importance of Technical Reading of Books ?
(c) Compare between Book Form of Catalogue with Card Form of
Catalogue.
[3611]-107
B. Lib. I. Sc. (Semester - I) Examination - 2009
(B. Lib. I. Sc. : November - 2008)
PAPER - BL-107 : INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY : BASICS (THEORY)
(June 2008 Pattern)
Time : 2 Hours] [Max. Marks : 40
Instructions :
(1) All questions are compulsory.
(2) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1) Write answers in 50 words each : (Any Three) [15]
(a) Give features of Information Technology (I.T.).
(b) What is Operating System ?
(c) Write different types of Computer Systems.
(d) What is meant by System Software ?
(e) What is meant by Application Software ?
(f) What is an Intranet ?
Q.2) Answer in 100 words : (Any One) [10]
(a) Explain functions of different units of a Computer System.
(b) Define the terms Data and Information.
(c) What are the different Storage Devices ? Explain in detail.
Q.3) Answer in 300 words : (Any One) [15]
(a) Explain different sections in Libraries and Information Centres
where computer can be used.
(b) Trace out history of different generations of Development of
Computers.
(c) What is meant by I.T. ? Explain its impact on Library Services.
No comments:
Post a Comment